Contribute to the green energy of tomorrow with the WPA Consortium
To better address the needs of the sector, Eco-PV has decided to split the WEEE Consortium from the WPA Consortium. Now, we are accredited to the National Coordination Center for Batteries and Accumulators (CdC NPA). We guarantee, with the associated Producers and Importers, the correct management of the end of life of the products released for consumption, guided by the values of transparency, efficiency, and sustainability.
Legislative Decree 188/2008 (still in force)
The discipline defined by the Legislative Decree n. 188/2008 transposes in Italy the European Directive 2006/66/CE which extends the concept of Producer Responsibility, which must:
- avoid placing on the market batteries or accumulators (including those incorporated in appliances) containing more than 0.0005% mercury or more than 0.002% cadmium;
- if the Producer is also an EEE Producer, they must design their own equipment containing batteries and accumulators so that they can be easily removed using simple instructions enclosed with the equipment;
- through the appropriate symbol affixed to the device, they must inform the user of the need to dispose of waste batteries and accumulators separately;
- register in the Manufacturers’ Register of batteries and accumulators, reporting the registration number on invoices and delivery notes.
European Regulation 2023/1542
The European Regulation 2023/1542 on batteries and batteries waste, which came into effect on August 18th, 2023, and was transposed into Italian law on February 18th, 2024, has repealed and replaced the previous European Directive on Batteries (2006/66/EC).
Among the key provisions of the Regulation are:
- introduction of targeted requirements to prevent and reduce the negative impacts of batteries on the environment, incorporating a declaration of carbon footprint, goals for recycled content, and parameters for performance and durability;
- implementation of standards to ensure transparency in the end-of-life management of batteries and facilitate their recycling;
- promotion of ethical sourcing of raw materials through the requirement of due diligence policies, subject to third-party verification;
- guarantee of compliance with ethical standards in the production and distribution chain of batteries;
- definition of new targets for collection rates, recycling efficiency, and material recovery to maximize the contribution to environmental sustainability.
How to join the Collective System Eco-PV
The WPA producers interested to join Eco-PV can:
- send a e-mail request to [email protected] or
- call the number +39 02 8239 6076
The staff will support you according to your needs.